Friday, December 18, 2009

Winding it Up

I have been working on a project made from fine, lace weight yarn that came in hanks. Winding the hanks into balls was a slow and laborious process. Luckily, I had no trouble with the yarn being tangled, and I had a plastic bin that kept the yarn neat, while winding, but with 400 years per hank it was a slow process. After winding 2 balls with that method I changed rooms and bumped into my swiveling computer chair, draped with a fleece coat -- I was hit with the proverbial lightning bolt. The chair would be perfect for holding a hank. Without the coat the chair would be too small, but with the coat it is perfect. I bunched up the arms of the coat a little so that they hold the yarn and of course the yarn kind of clings to the fleece.

Winding the balls of yarn is still slow, but the process is much quicker because I do not need to unwind the yarn and navigate the corners of the bin, I can just gently push the chair so it spins and the yarn unwinds -- my own multi-use knitting knotty.

No comments: