Monday, November 16, 2009

Quilt Sandwich

I just tried making my first quilt sandwich using the method described here at oh, fransson. It is a brilliant method of smoothing out your quilt for the sandwich. It makes use of floor space. I have to admit it is less fun to crawl around on the floor than to work at my cabinet level table, but it sure was nice to have room to spread the whole quilt out nice and flat, and the technique of using the blue removable painting tape seemed to work very well. I will definitely use the tape at the table with my smaller quilts.

I pinned my quilt sandwich using quilting safety pens, they have an extra bit of bend in the middle, which makes getting through all the layers quite easy and as far as I can tell my hardwood floor survived without a scratch.


I had a lot of trouble with the batting which came in a a queen bed size pack -- not only is it wobbly it is not evenly thick. The photo surely shows all its wobbles. I think in future I will try to get batting by the yard.


And tomorrow I will make another quilt sandwich the same way, although I have not yet quilted this sandwich.

No comments: