Saturday, October 29, 2011

The New Green Shawl

A couple of days ago when my cold had really gotten me down and I was absolutely not up to making quilting decisions -- decisions which seem to take oodles of brain power, I began a new shawl. (I am knitting it as participation in a group making them to donate to those in need.) I started a new one although, my previous shawl, which I have been working on practically forever, is still not finished. It still has lots of ends to sew in, which is incredibly annoying as I bought one of those pound balls of yarn specifically so I would not have to sew in ends. Despite all the ends I was going to buy another ball of the stuff, when I came upon a steal of a deal. I got 7 balls of Lion brand olive green wool ease yarn for something like 6 dollars. So far I am enjoying knitting with this yarn -- which has at least a little bit wool content.

Shawl


I am a little uncertain about how wide a shawl should be. This one is about 18 inches wide with the ribs collapsed and about 20.5 inches wide as shown in the photograph. Although I am uncertain how wide it should be, since I've already started this thing three times, this is how wide this one is going to remain. I think it will work.

Green Shawl (detail)


The stitch, Vertical Drop Stitch, is basically a 2x2 rib, except that every 6 rows in every other rib on one side you make an extra stitch in the middle and on the other rib you drop a stitch. At some point I will need to spend a little time making sure all the dropped stitches have really dropped -- unless I just plan on tossing it in the washer when it is done -- that should do the trick

No comments: