Monday, October 31, 2011

Multi-Tasking

Over the last couple of months I have been working simultaneously, or almost simultaneously, on three different quilt projects:
• a small log cabin quilt with blocks of about 2.25 inches square
• my guild's challenge quilt with blocks that are 8.5 inches square -- conveniently the block size I use for making potholders
and
• a theoretically twin sized quilt made of excessively colourful six inch snowball blocks

With three quilts underway there was a long period when I felt I wasn't making any progress on on any of them. It was kind of depressing. But gradually things are looking up. I think I now have the challenge quilt laid out. The challenge was to work in neutrals, browns and one other colour, the colour I was assigned is indigo. And a big challenge it has been for me working in blues and browns.

Here's the challenge quilt as I laid it out a while ago before I made the last of the blocks

Challenge Quilt


After staring at it a lot over the course of a few days I decided to make first one and then several more substitutions and as a result I now have a bunch of blocks to use as potholders. Then it occurred to me that some of the castoff blocks were all blue and that I had told a friend I would make her some blue, cobalt blue, potholders.

Is it possible that I can use the same blues, in two projects and call them indigo in one and cobalt in the other?

No comments: