Friday, November 28, 2008

Introducing My Working Cats

I live with two kitties, Small and Sam. Small is my tiny, 6 pound older cat. I adopted her when I found her apparently homeless and hungry living under the grape arbor in my backyard, about 10 years ago. Sam or Sammy is my huge, about 15 pound bouncy baby, whom I selected with great care, and lots of help, at the humane society.

Initially, I tried to keep the beastly cats out of my work and supplies. Eventually, I gave up as I was constantly doing battle. And aside from spreading their fur almost everywhere they seem to do less damage when I leave them alone than when I try to extricate them.

Sam on the clothes horse, or quilt strip holder

For example every time I tried to remove Sam from his perch up there, I would have fabric all over. Yet, he could somehow get down on his own without dislodging any of the strips. And now that I ignore him, I am pleased to say he has virtually ceased climbing all over the strips.

Small has always been more of a lounge kitty, I think it comes of having a hard life out on the streets all on her own.

Here she is lounging about in the fabrics I was using to test some circular appliqué techniques -- none of which made me as happy as a clam.

Both of them often curl up close to where I am working whether it is on the computer or the sewing machine. Although they sometimes cause trouble I find their presence comforting. It is so nice to look up from whatever I am doing to see a sleeping cat.

No comments: