Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Work in Progress - Black and White and Yellow

Here's some pieces from my newest work in progress. I think the inspiration for this one came from two dispirit sources . I saw an interesting quilt on Tumblr and some almost toile fabric -- a large sort of pictorial print in black on white with some yellow highlights. I did not end up buying the fabric and I think my blocks are completely unlike those making up the quilt I saw on Tumblr. I guess that is what I get for not going back and looking at the quilt, when I made my cuts.

First, I took a couple of photos of blocks laying on my off white table.

Block

Block

Then I took some with a darker background. I think that worked better.

Untitled

Block

I ended up sewing a sort of sashing to the blocks for two reasons, obviously it solves any problems I might have with distortion over the length of the sashing, but also because it makes it easier for me to move the blocks around as I try to decide on their placement.

Here's my first try laying the blocks out

Untitled

I think the final quilt will be 4 blocks by 4 blocks, or about 36 by 48 inches and I am pretty much committed to trying it again with a few blocks that include a blue and white fabric (committed as in I have made several of the blue blocks) along with the black and white and yellow.

No comments: