Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Couple Potholders

Months ago my neighbour gave me a cute little stuffed mouse toy for my cat. The Mousie arrived wrapped in a piece of fabric. She told me that she had bought an entire bolt of the fabric to cover a chair, when she was done with that, there was fabric left over. She could not bear to throw it away, so she was using the left overs for gift wrap.

On the same principle -- I could bear to throw away the bit of fabric she had given me, I decided to use some of it to make potholders to give to her -- theoretically for Christmas, now a few months past. I am not yet done, but I am making progress.

One of the two potholders with the first layer of quilting worked through four layers -- its usually three, but because the weave on the upholstery fabric is a little loose, I added a thin muslin fabric to prevent the batting from escaping.

Potholder -- block



The other potholder -- this one is a little further along in the process. The first four layers have been quilted and the fifth and sixth layers have been basted together and quilted. The basting thread is still very visible.

Potholder

The center area is quilted through four layers and only the outer most row of quilting is through the whole thing. I try to limit quilting of all thicknesses to a small portion of the outer area of the potholder as the sewing holes are a perfect avenue for heat to travel.

No comments: